The Arthur and Garfield elementary school communities marked their 100th birthdays with Open House celebrations and special programs on May 7. Garfield, located at 1201 Maplewood Drive NE, and Arthur, located at 2630 B. Avenue NE, both opened in 1915.
Arthur featured the first auditorium in the school district; that space later became the school’s cafeteria and music room. An annex across the street from the original school was built in 1952 to provide additional classroom space.
At the time of its construction, Garfield housed five classrooms on the first floor, each with two restrooms. Additions were constructed in 1927 and 1953 to add additional classroom space as well as a combination auditorium/gymnasium.
Click here for a photo gallery of Arthur and Garfield Schools