A Press release from Lifechanger of the Year:
Cedar Rapids Community School District Educator Nominated for National LifeChanger of the Year Award
February 27, 2020 – Cedar Rapids, IA – McKinley STEAM Academy paraprofessional and coach Hesh Alsafi has been nominated for the 2019-2020 national LifeChanger of the Year award.
Alsafi was nominated by numerous family members, students, and friends, for going above and beyond to support students. He wants to give them the best tools so they can succeed in their chosen path. Alsafi genuinely worries and cares for their students, mentors them, and develops strong relationships with their families.
Alsafi creates after school programs to provide a space for students to grow and improve their grades. He coaches football, basketball, and soccer, and makes it a priority to get students the resources they need. He spends money out of pocket to purchase school and sports supplies so they can thrive.
“I have watched him first hand put others before himself. His love and passion for kids is unbelievable,” said Sara Alsafi, a family member. “I've seen him go out and buy clothes for his basketball team because some of the kids didn't have anything nice to wear. He spent his own money and supported kids who didn't have much. He goes above and beyond.”
About LifeChanger of the Year
Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Seventeen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2019-2020 school year.
* (1) Grand Prize Winner – will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
* (4) Grand Prize Finalists – will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
* (10) LifeChanger Award Winners – will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
* (1) Spirit Award Winner – This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
* (1) Spotlight Award Winner – This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. For 2019-20, the Spotlight Award will be given to a nominee who has made a proven impact on school safety. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are announced via surprise award ceremonies held at their schools. The grand prize finalists will also be honored at a national awards ceremony in April 2020 in Florida, where the Grand Prize Winner will be revealed.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees. To be considered for an award, nominees must
* Make a positive impact in the lives of students
* Enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture and pride
* Demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level
* Possess a proven record of professional excellence
* Show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning
* Adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards
A resource page with ideas for how to celebrate nominees can be found at http://lifechangeroftheyear.com/showspirit/.
To view Alsafi’s LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate someone from your school community, visit www.LifeChangeroftheYear.com.