The Cedar Rapids History Center recently moved several historic cornerstones from the Center’s former location to new homes. Ten of the stones are valuable markers from three long-ago demolished District elementary school buildings, including:
- Old Jackson School, which was built in 1883 and once stood at Fourth Avenue and Twelfth Street SE;
- Old Van Buren School, which was built in 1884 and stood at Fourteenth Avenue SW between Third Street and “L” Street SW; and
- Old Polk School, which was built in 1893 at B Avenue and Fifteenth Street NE.
The three buildings were demolished in 1971 and 1972. The historic stones from Jackson and Van Buren were moved to the current school sites. The historic stone from the older Polk building was located adjacent to current Polk building. In addition to the school name and date, the stones feature the names of the contractors, architects, and Board of Education members from more than a century ago. The stones will be permanently installed on the school campuses at a later date.
Click here to see photos of the historic markers.