Classes resume at all District schools on Tuesday, Aug. 27. The first day of classes will be an early dismissal day for students (except those attending Taylor Elementary School). Middle and high schools will dismiss at 12:30 p.m.; elementary schools will dismiss at 1:30 p.m.
As a new school year begins, there are many children walking to and from school, riding bicycles, riding the bus, or being dropped off and picked up by parents. Motorists are reminded to use caution when driving near schools.
- Slow down when driving in school and residential areas.
- Watch for clues that give warning of children in the area (bikes, adult crossing guards, school buses)
- Obey school bus stop laws.
- Clear fogged windows before driving.
- Obey all traffic signs.
- Avoid school zones during arrival and dismissal hours.
The City of Cedar Rapids purchased flashers in 2012 to modify some of the school speed zones from "When Children are Present" to "When Flashing". The flashers will be activated when the school speed limit is being enforced. When the flashers are not activated, the normal speed limit will be in effect.
Parents of children walking or riding their bikes to school are also reminded to follow some basic safety tips:
- Walk the route to school to know the safest route.
- Find a friend to walk with to and from school. Avoid walking alone.
- Know where there are "safe" places to go if there is an emergency.
- Use crosswalks and designated school crossing zones whenever possible.
- Help children learn to estimate if there is enough time to cross the street.
- Never cross the street between parked cars.
- When there is no sidewalk and it is necessary to walk on the roadway, walk on the far-left side of the street, facing traffic.