Green Team Awards
2016 - 2017 Green Team Awards
The awards are for Cedar Rapids Community School District employees and students only.
To apply for an award click on any of the application links and fill it out.
Award applications are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, April 28, 2017.
You can apply for more than one award.
Award winners will be chosen by the sponsor of the award and announced at the Green Team Celebration on May 23, 2017.
Below is a list of award sponsors and their evaluation criteria for winning.
Alliant Energy - "Energy Conservation" Award Application
- Education on Yesterday, Today, and the Future sourcing of energy and the environmental benefits of energy conservation.
- Implementation of conservation methods and programs. (Student Classroom Energy Audit, Classroom Energy Ambassador, Classroom Energy Challenge/Reward programs, Student "Green" Recognition Programs, etc.)
- Energy Conservation Awareness through posters, announcements, assemblies and social/video media.
- Energy Reduction from previous school year.
Baker Group "Energy Star - Most Improved Score" Award Application
- All Green Teams shall work towards reduction in Energy and Water use in order to improve their EPA Energy Star Score from the previous school year.
- Any participating school in Cedar Rapids Community School District "Green Team" program will automatically qualify for evaluation of this award.
Hawkeye Communications "Team Participation" Award Application
- Green Team members must meet routinely through-out the school year.
- Consideration for this award will be weighted heavily on Green Awareness and Education "communication" strategies for student involvement.
☐ School Newsletter
☐ School Assembly
☐ Green Challenges/Classroom Competitions
☐ Announcements or Video Media
☐ Green Messages through Poster Campaigns, Art, Post-It Notes, Etc.
☐ Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Website)
☐ Photos or articles submitted to the GREEN SCENE Newsletter
☐ Participate in a Community "Environmental" Event or Education Program.
(Examples: EcoFest, Parades, City of Cedar Rapids Education Program, Community Bike Ride)
☐ Participate in school recycling program
☐ Participate in Classroom/School Energy or Water Audits
☐ Review your Schools Energy Observation Report and Utility Report Cards
☐ Other: _____________________________________________________________
City of Cedar Rapids "Water Conservation" Award Application
- Education on the benefits of clean water.
- Implementation of conservation methods and programs. (Student Water Audit, Water Collection/Recycling Methods, Automated Irrigation systems, Purchase of EPA "Water Sense" Appliances and fix-tures.)
- Water Conservation Awareness through posters, announcements, assemblies and social/video media.
- Water Reduction from previous school year.
Interstate Batteries "Environmental Education" Award Application
- Education on the environmental benefits of resource conservation.
- The school applying for this award must participate in the District recycling program inclusive of milk cartons and battery recycling station.
- Create Videos, skits and newsletters that are focused on environmental issues.
- Participate in an activity that helps our environment.(Tree planting, school ground litter pickup, storm water label project, butterfly garden, planned walk to school day, etc.)
- Reduction in Energy and Water Use Report Card categories from previous school year.
Shive-Hattery "Conservation Leadership" Award Application
- Teams must plan and carry-out a conservation program that is innovative and involves the Student Body at their building or forwards environmental education and awareness in the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Consideration is given to sustainable programs that will be repeated year after year.
- Consideration is given to the development of Environmental Curriculum teaching plans.
- Consideration is given to conservation programs and activities that combine student involvement and community outreach.