What are the responsibilities of your office or department?
The Office of Learning and Leadership (OLL) is responsible for supporting schools with curriculum, instruction, assessment, and data driven practices for the academic and social emotional learning needs for all students. In addition, OLL designs professional learning and resources to support school improvement plans across the district. OLL supports system improvement with administrators and building leadership teams through the High Reliability Schools framework.
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Associate Superintendent; 2017-2018
- College Community School District--Director of Secondary Education and Innovation; 2014-2017
- Prairie Edge School, Cedar Rapids, IA--Principal; 2012-2014
- Mount Vernon Middle School, Mount Vernon, Iowa--Principal; 2009-2012 (and Washington Elementary principal 2011-2012)
- Prairie High School, Cedar Rapids, IA--Associate Principal; 2005-2009
- College Community School District--Systems Thinking Strategist and Induction Mentor Facilitator; 2004-2005
- Prairie High School, Cedar Rapids, IA--English Teacher; 1999-2004
- City High School, Iowa City, IA--English and Theatre Teacher, Drama Director; 1999-2001
- Clayton High School, Clayton, MO--English and Theatre Teacher, Drama Director and Forensics Coach; 1994-1999
Fun Facts about Noreen:
The most rewarding part of my job is when I get to witness students in the "learning zone." When students are so engrossed with a project, problem, or experience that they don't want it to end--even if they are challenged--I know that I am witnessing learning. Those joyful moments reflect our district's entire purpose to serve children and directly deliver on our vision, Every Learner: Future Ready. Our teams in our schools create those moments every day--absolutely rewarding.
My husband, Russ, two boys, Tom and Gus, and I enjoy traveling, trivia, and spending time together as a family. We also love college football season, Hawkeye wrestling, and food! In fact, I would consider myself a "foodie"--I love trying new places and cuisines. I am originally from Detroit, MI, so I have a strong affection for the Tigers and Lions (not Bears). My family landed in CR by my high school years, and I am a proud graduate of Jefferson High School ('89). I love researching best practices in improving learning experiences for students, which has taken me to great places around the country as well as a trip to Finland. I am continuing my dissertation research at Drake University; my research focuses on a true passion--preparing students for postsecondary readiness.
- return to Superintendent's Cabinet