Every weather-related event is unique and requires the consideration of multiple factors in determining whether a delay of classes, early dismissal, or cancellation might be necessary. The final decision is made by the Superintendent/designee.
When hazardous weather threatens:
- The Superintendent/designee will consider input from the Transportation Manager, Custodial and Grounds Manager, area superintendents, and information from local meteorologists and online weather resources.
When a late start is deemed necessary:
When a cancellation of classes is deemed necessary:
- A decision is usually determined by 5:30 a.m.
- All District schools, preschool/early learning program sites, and before- and after-school programs will be closed.
- Decisions regarding high school activity and athletic events will be made by the building administrator. As a general rule, elementary and middle school activities are cancelled.
- All weather-related cancellations must be made up. Make-up dates are part of the District calendar.
When an early-dismissal is deemed necessary:
- A decision is generally made by 10 a.m.
- Early-dismissal times may vary depending on the weather conditions.
- There will be no afternoon early learning preschool or afternoon alternative kindergarten classes.
- Children normally transported on buses will be returned by bus according to the early dismissal schedule unless other arrangements have been previously made and communicated to the child’s school.
- Decisions regarding high school activity and athletic events will be made by the building administrator/designee. As a general rule, elementary and middle school activities are cancelled.
Announcements of District weather-related decisions are communicated by the Community Relations Office through local media outlets and multiple District communication platforms.
Announcements of school activity and athletic event decisions are communicated by the building administrator/designee.
The District must make one decision that is appropriate for more than 16,000 students. We recognize that this decision may not always fit with individual circumstances. Therefore, we support parents/guardians in making the decision that is best for their family.