About the Early Learning Preschool Program
Our preschool program consists of a four-day week with a three-hour session in the morning or a three-hour session in the afternoon. Three- and 4-year-olds are combined in the same classroom.
Each class is led by a teacher licensed through the State of Iowa in Early Childhood Education, and each classroom is assisted by one or more paraprofessionals.
The 3-year-old program is a parent-paid program at $300 per month. The district offers additional openings for those who quality based on income through Shared Vision Funding. These openings are limited and are available at Grant Wood Elementary and Cedar River Academy.
Learn more about our financial assistance opportunities.
Families are responsible for transportation. District transportation is not provided for preschool.
Our teachers use Creative Curriculum, which uses child development theory to guide our teaching approach, learning environment, and roles of the teaching staff and family. This curriculum helps identify goals in these areas of development:
- Social: make friends, feel comfortable, and build trust
- Emotional: develop independence and self-confidence
- Cognitive: develop learning skills to problem solve, ask questions, and use words to help them describe what they are learning and feeling
- Physical: develop small and large muscle skills
- Language and Literacy: learn to communicate effectively and develop concepts students need to become competent and confident readers
- Mathematics: learn basic principles and concepts in number, geometry, and measurement
In classes of 18 to 20 with a teacher and associate, students will:
- Paint, draw, and write
- Run and climb
- Play with blocks, water, sand, puzzles, and games
- Listen to stories
- Go on field trips
- Sing, talk, and cook
- Have fun!
Our program meets Iowa Quality Preschool Program Standards (IQPPS).
Thank you for your interest in Cedar Rapids Community School District’s preschool programs. If you have further questions, please call 319-558-2549 or email email@example.com.