We are excited to announce the expansion of our world language program to all 8th graders next year. World language offerings will be provided as an early bird option from 7:00-7:45AM at all seven of our middle schools. Languages will include French, German, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish. All courses will be high school credit bearing and taught virtually with a mix of asynchronous and synchronous learning opportunities by current high school world language teachers. Logistics are below:
- Synchronous classes will be held Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:00-7:45AM at their middle school.
- Students will be expected to complete coursework on Tuesday and Thursday outside of the school-day. No classes will be held.
- Grades will be reflected on students’ high school transcripts and will be calculated as part of high school GPAs.
- Spots are limited. This afternoon you will receive an email with a link to express interest. Please indicate your interest by Friday, May 21, 2021. If demand exceeds capacity, a lottery will be used. If sections do not meet a 15 student threshold, the course may not be run.
- District transportation will be provided for those who qualify.
As you consider this opportunity, please know that this is an optional offering - not a requirement. If you are interested, other things to consider are below:
- Students’ earned grade will be on their high school transcript.
- Students’ earned grade will be calculated in their GPA.
- Many post high school options require foreign language for admission and/or college graduation.
- It is recommended that students take consecutive years of the same language choice. The following languages are offered at each high school.
- Kennedy - Spanish, French, Japanese, German, Chinese
- Jefferson - Spanish, French, Japanese, German
- Washington - Spanish, French, Japanese, German