Join us as a substitute teacher!
We are expanding the pool of Iowans who are eligible.
- Be part of helping students learn and thrive
- Earn steady income within a supportive environment
Learn more about the Substitute Authorization Class
Governor Kim Reynolds has issued a new proclamation as of July 17, 2020, which allows for increased flexibility in the use of substitute teachers during the disaster emergency period. The following applies:
- The day limitation (5 days in a row, 10 days in a month, in any one assignment) for holders of a substitute authorization is removed, and the long-term substitute day limit (90 days) is removed.
- The degree requirement to obtain a substitute authorization is changed from a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution. The Substitute Authorization Class is still required.
- The age requirement of 21 years of age for a substitute authorization is changed to age 20.
Paraeducators who hold a paraeducator certificate with the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute only in their own special education classroom may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
a. Paraeducators need to hold a substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher.
b. If the paraeducator holds a regular substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed (this is not a change).
c. If the paraeducator holds the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher only in their own special education classroom, they may substitute in any classroom during this proclamation.
Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
Permanent Building Substitutes
Want to become part of the school culture and gather on-going familiarity? A permanent building substitute provides a commitment for the school year to typically one building (potential to travel to others if needed). They must meet the state substitute teacher requirements. This differs from substitute teachers registered within Sub Central who can be called upon to substitute at any school in the area.
Here are additional resources:
Substitute Authorization Class
Substitute Authorization Process
Please contact LaToya Harrington for more information or call 319-558-CRHR (2747).