2021-2022 Magnet School Lottery application period is open
Click below to enter the 2021-2022 Magnet School Lottery.
Please contact a magnet coordinator at any magnet school with lottery questions. See the magnet school specific pages for contact information.
Thank you for your interest in Cedar Rapids Community School District Magnet Schools. A magnet school is a theme-based school providing parent choice in the type of learning environment they want for their child(ren). They are built on the foundation of the magnet school pillars: diversity, innovative curriculum and professional development, academic excellence, high quality instructional systems, and family and community partnerships. Magnet Schools use state and district standards but vary the delivery of instruction by teaching the standards within a theme.
The Cedar Rapids Community School District has five magnet schools of choice.
Elementary Schools, Grades K-5
- Cedar River Academy at Taylor has a theme of sustainability and is located at 720 7th Ave SW, Cedar Rapids, IA.
- Johnson STEAM Academy has a theme of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) and is located at 355 18th Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA.
- Kenwood Leadership Academy has a Leadership theme and is located at 3700 E Ave NE, Cedar Rapids, IA.
Middle Schools, Grades 6-8
- McKinley STEAM Academy has a theme of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) and is located at 620 10th Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403.
- Roosevelt Creative Corridor Business Academy has a business theme and provides three main pathways of learning; STEAM, Leadership & Entrepreneurship, and Global Systems and is located at 300 13th Street SW Cedar Rapids, IA.
Enrollment at a Magnet School
CRCSD Resident: The Cedar Rapids Community School District believes in the value of neighborhood schools. Students who live within a magnet school resident attendance zone can automatically enroll in the magnet school. They are not required to enter the Lottery to attend the magnet school serving their neighborhood attendance area.
Non-CRCSD Resident: If a student living outside of a magnet school resident attendance zone wishes to enroll in a magnet school, they need to enter the lottery. If a student living outside of the CRCSD wishes to attend a magnet school, they need to apply for open enrollment by March 1, 2021 and apply for the lottery.
Choose from the Magnet School menus on the right for more information on Magnet Schools.